News International finds ‘lost’ emails that promise fresh evidence in hacking case
The Independent is reporting today that a file of emails has come to light from executives at News International. The emails date from the height of the phone-hacking scandal and what is significant is that these emails were previously reported as “lost” following a botched data transfer. Funny that.
The emails, which weren’t previously available to police, have been found as Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper business comes under intense scrutiny as a fresh investigation into phone hacking at the News of the World gets underway.
The Metropolitan Police are now expected to examine the emails as they seek to find out how widespread phone hacking was at the News of the World and who was involved.
“However, The Independent has established that not only is the database intact but it apparently contains a full record of email traffic between the company’s senior staff. The archive, covering 2005 and 2006 when the News of the World was illegally listening to the messages of aides to Prince William and other public figures, will open a window onto the Sunday paper’s newsgathering operations and those of Mr Murdoch’s other titles,” the Independent reports.
Last week Scotland Yard promised to leave “no stone unturned” in the new inquiry into phone hacking at the News of the World.
Elsewhere this morning it is being reported that police have been asked to investigate suspicions that the phone of rail union leader Bob Crow has been hacked into by journalists.
While former Respect MP George Galloway says he has been ‘offered a hacking payout’. He told the BBC he is being offered “substantial sums of money” by the News of the World after his phone was allegedly hacked.
This follows reports on Friday that former Labour chief whip, Nick Brown, thinks his calls were intercepted around the time the News of the World outed him as gay.
Brown is one of a number of high profile people to come forward with hacking claims in recent days. Others include Leslie Ash and Lee Chapman
and interior designer Kelly Hoppen, who is the stepmother of the actress Sienna Miller, suggesting that phone hacking is still going on.